Thursday, April 4, 2013

Interactive Whiteboards in Today's Classroom

       Interactive Whiteboards (IWB) can be a useful tool if used correctly, but from my personal experience in high school none of my teachers used it as anything more than a normal whiteboard or a projector to watch videos on. I have never seen a need for them because they were used improperly and were so expensive. I saw it as a waste of federal dollars when it was the same lesson but on a board that costs a heck of alot more. While in SEDU 183, it has changed how I see these IWB's, because it has shown me how useful they can be.
       IWB's were sold as a "stepping stone" for student achievement and that these IWB's would help students increase their performance as a student. "It looks like whiteboards can be used in a way that can lull teachers into not using what we consider good instructional strategies."(Marzano, Some Educators) He said this after seeing the inconclusive test results of students who had used the IWB's in a class. I think the test results varied becuase some teachers used this new tool as a way to differentiate their classroom, while some teachers just used it as a normal whiteboard.
      In SEDU 183, we have used IWB's and we have played with the software. This has showed me that with this technology you can create a huge variation of interactive lessons. If used with proper use I believe a IWB can be an extremely useful tool in the classroom. This can help a lot with teachers who want to differentiate their classrooms. Teachers can create lessons or an activity for a classroom that can give the student a hands on approach at that lesson. Using one of these IWB's can help the teacher connect and help explain the idea to each student.
      

10 comments:

  1. I also had the same experience with IWB in high school and how they weren't used to their full potential. I also believed they were a waste of money for the schools at the time. Now that I know how many different applications IWB actually have I think that they are a great tool to use in the classroom but educators should be taught how to use them properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My classrooms throughout school were similar to yours. The boards were used to present a PowerPoint or a video. I had no idea exactly what all these boards were capable of. They really can help differentiate instruction to a variety of students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same issues that the IWBs were used more a projection backdrop and not for their actual purpose. I think that while these are a great idea, that not all schools or teachers may be ready to incorporate them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! One of my favorite posts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job with this post! I liked it a lot Very good and it had a lot of good facts in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the key points that you made was "if" used properly it can be useful. Not all techers know how to utilize these whiteboards and they are not helping anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen IWBs used properly and they are great, but like you said... "if."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also saw a lot of high school teachers not even trying to utilize this technology, it really is a shame when school districts pay so much for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have to agree with you about IWB's potential. And I think that's what most teachers have done with IWB's - videos and a white board. I had never seen them in action until this class and I think their great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't even need to say anything else. I feel the same way about IWB's, and it's a shame to see so many people put them down, but I have seen them used properly and know what a wonderful addition they can be in a classroom.

    ReplyDelete