Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Differentiation

From what I understand about differentiation, is that it is a way for teachers to teach the subject matter in different ways that will help students understand it. Differentiation involves a  variation of methods to reach students that have specific needs, this could be an audio version or a more hands on method for students who have these learning styles.
         In high school, I saw my teachers using differentiation. I had a geometry teacher, who would lecture, have models, and show us a video of the lesson. It seemed to be an effective method that targeted the three major learning styles. From what I saw in high school, most teachers tried to approach material in a variety of presenting the material to appeal to these different learners; but once I stepped into the college classroom I see that most professors don't take that approach and teach it the way that is most comfortable for them.
         I think technology can really help a teacher differentiate their classroom. On the internet a teacher or even a student can find countless videos, websites, games, or blogs that can discuss a lesson that a teacher can show their students. This will give students a group of different activities that explain a lesson.

15 comments:

  1. It's good that you had differentiation while you were in high school. My experience in my education is the reversed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, thoughtful response on differentiation. I agree- it seems to have declined throughout years in school. Many different activities presented in Elementary School, but as you said, it goes away in College. Also depends on the professor/teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post! I like the idea you had on different websites for kids at different learning levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the observation on the difference from high school and college. Do you think though in college that it is realistic for professors to be able t differentiate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup. You said it Matt. That's pretty much the way I see differentiation as well. And I have to agree about technology as well. What a great tool for differentiation! I see differentiation as a way to bring all the kids up to a new level at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like what you said. The only thing i would say is that it might not be that easy with technology. Some students may not know how to use it. So it could be a hurdle for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post! I agree with you completely that technology can definitely be a useful tool and a great use of differentiation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that technology is the best way to incorperate differentation becuase it can be used in such simple and easy to use ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree I feel like when you are younger differentiation is more available and used more frequently but that as you enter college and highschool level it disappears.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good post with a lot of good facts and information. I loved links a lot too and the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The more you are able to differentiate the better teacher you're going to be. Also the more kids are going to like you as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the picture you used basically says it all about differentiation. there are different aspects that go into differentiating a classroom, but it is YOU that puts them all together to make a successful classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that in high school differentiation seemed like more of a focus than in most college classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You took the words from my mouth! Few teachers at the college level attemp any kind of differentiation. I wonder why that is...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too agree that there are quite a few teachers in college who teach the way they feel comfortable, rather than adapting their style of teaching for their students to learn it. I also think that technology is one useful material that I think all teachers should try and incorporate into their classroom.

    ReplyDelete