Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Twitter and me

Twitter is a social network that gives you the ability to communicate with other educators from all across the globe. However, judging from our quiz we took it was not as effective as it could have been. The computers in our classroom are out dated and slow. Most of them still run on Internet Explorer, which don't have the capacity to run TweetDeck or google drive. This was a huge hassle that left me furious, because Twitter updated so slowly that by the time I could see a fellow class mates tweet it was four or five minutes old and we had moved onto a new question. In our classroom situation it would have been easier to just talk and communicate face to face with other students. I discovered that twitter was more problematic than it was helpful. I didn't use Twitter before this classroom, because I don't feel the need to talk about myself that much. When I teach in the future, I don't plan on using a lot of technology for the fact that when it's not running well it wastes time.

9 comments:

  1. I know technology can be a huge hassle but it can also but extremely helpful in the long run ya some days it might not work but when it does it can work great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be frustrating when technology takes forever to load but I thought it was a neat way to take a quiz. Technology can be a big help in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps you should've moved to a new computer, or at least physically update Internet Explorer yourself. But, your bluntness is admirable. Technology is not something for everyone, and it's good you realized that sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that I makes it more difficult and frustating when technology is outdated and slow. Especially when the class relies on technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can see you frustration, but you cant look down on using technology due to slow computers. Twitter worked as a great tool, but it was unfortunate in your case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the computer's being too slow, I also had that frustration. By the time I could respond we were moving to the next question, which means I didn't get to read a lot of the tweets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same feelings about Twitter as you do! I do not feel the need to talk about myself or to read about others but I do however find it to be usefull when being a teacher. I have yet to experience all of the problems with it and hopefully I do not because I will not know how to fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. b. Your comments: It’s sad to hear you say that. Technology is unavoidable and clearly a key element in reaching and engaging student. Even if Twitter isn’t the method for you, you should continue to try other ways to expand your network and make connections. The world had become so much smaller with all of the different applications to connect with others all around the globe. It might sound scary, but as future educator you NEED to embrace technology and change. One thing to consider in regards to education, technology, and change is that they are all intertwined an evolving at an increasingly fast pace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. I hate slow technology. Awesome picture by the way

    ReplyDelete